Saturday, December 12, 2009

Moving to my new home

So I have internet access one last time for awhile. Why? you might ask. Well...I'm off to my new site/home! :-)

I finished training and was sworn in (and proceeded to count my blessings) on December 8, 2009 at the U.S. Embassy in Mozambique. It was pretty neat and we had some great guest speakers. After that, we returned to our soon-to-be-dearly-missed Namaacha to pack up the last of our stuff before heading our separate ways to all the corners of the country. Mine, you might ask? Zambezia!

I left for this north-central province on Wednesday for a conference with all the other volunteers in the northern provinces (Zambezia, Nampula, and Cabo Delgado) from health and education so we could meet our new bosses (from our NGOs, CBOs, and FBOs for those of us in health, school directors for those from education). We stayed in a hotel in Nampula city before waking up early the next morning to go to our sites. The 5 of us from my NGO actually won't head to our actual sites for another few days because we have an orientation to the organization for a couple of days before in Quelimane. As such, I have internet access...

So people might be interested in my site. I can't actually tell people exactly where it is or what it's name is, but I am allowed to be vague and tell you that it is in the middle of nowhere and that I am one of only a handful of volunteers who has absolutely NO electricity in my entire site. I'm pretty stoked about it and think it's awesome ("The Ultimate Peace Corps Experience"). I should have access to my phone and hopefully (fingers crossed) the internet from it, so feel free to call! I won't be able to update the blog as frequently, but I will be making the hours-long trek to any of a number of small cities on occasion to visit friends and pick up mail.

Speaking of mail! I have a new address! It is as follows:

Ethan Pickering
Corpo da Paz
C.P. 130
Quelimane, Mozambique

That's all you need to write on the envelope. Some people have asked if they need to write "Africa" under Mozambique. I assure you that although the rest of the world may not know where Mozambique is, the postal service does.

That's all for now! If you have questions about anything, feel free to call or post them on here. I won't be checking/responding in a timely fashion, but I promise I will get back to you.

Much love to all,

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment